Saturday, March 04, 2006

Just By Reading

I went over to Lindsey's blog this morning to catch up. It's seems just by reading a meme over there, I've been tagged. It's another book meme, and I love those. Here we go:

[1] Name 5 of your favorite books

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Even though it was assigned reading in high school, I utterly love this book. It made such a strong statement to me at the time about tolerance, love, and sometimes life is ugly. Somehow it just said to me “try and make the world a better place”. I spent my time watching the movie, re-reading the book and finally seeing the live production.

2. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon – As you all know, I’ve posted about this series for a while now. It was introduced to me by my co-worker, Kim. It’s about a time traveling nurse, Claire, who is thrown from the 1940’s back to 18th century Scotland. It has it all the sci-fi, romance, history, and adventure a reader needs. There are six books in the series: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber,Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes. So far, the characters have been through the Battle of Culloden (the Jacobite uprising) and the following years to the eve of the American Revolution. I just love all of them and can’t put them down. I’m eagerly awaiting the seventh book in the series. My highlight was getting to meet the author with Kim last September.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Me and Kim with Diana Gabaldon, Sept.05.

3. You Are A Dog by Terry Bain – This book just makes me smile. It’s all written from a dog’s point of view. When I look at my dogs, I can just sometimes here them quoting the passage about the vaccuum cleaner!

4. The Bible - While I believe that religion is an individual’s personal choice, this book is the guideline of my life. I do my best to follow it’s teachings.

5. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown – This was the first book that I read after I took a break from college last year. It surely was a page turner. I couldn’t put it down. It rekindled my love for reading, which had been squashed by so much required reading. Also since I’m a history major, I love all of the historical references and stories.

[2] What was the last book you bought?

Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn

[3] What was the last book you read?

Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning

[4] Name five books that have particular meaning for you.

1. Ice Cream Cone Coot by Arnold Lobel – A crazy book about everyday objects as exotic birds, i.e. Buttoneyed Bobolinks, Soup Ladle Larks, and the infamous Ice Cream Cone Coot. This was my absolute favorite book as a child. I could read this book myself, by the time I was 3. This is the one that started the whole thing. I still have it, and in the back is a date due slip that I drew complete with number stamps, where I played librarian as a child.

2. Me and My Flying Machine by Marianna and Mercer Mayer. It seems that books made an impression on me at a very early age. I always remember this book, when I’m having a hard day. This boy tries to build a flying machine out of scraps he finds in an old barn. He dreams and lives it, but everything in the world goes wrong. He doesn’t let it get him down though, and in the end he just says, “Tomorrow, I’ll build a rowboat.” I find myself saying that phrase a lot to keep myself going.

3. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury – Timeless tale of book burning and censorship. As a library worker, I try very hard to ensure that everyone has unrestricted access to the books they need and want.

4. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne – I read this the same year as To Kill A Mockingbird. Books really spoke to me that year. It’s another good lesson of how dangerous intolerance really is.

5. Splinter of the Mind’s Eye by Alan Dean Foster – Even as a young kid, I was a HUGE Star Wars fan. This was the first book published that went beyond the original stories by George Lucas. While reading, you have to keep in mind that Luke and Leia’s family relations weren’t known at the time Foster wrote it.

[5] Three books you are dying to read but just haven't yet.

1. Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

2. Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn.

3. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

[6] Tag five people to go through this same ordeal

Anyone that wants to play along.

No comments: