Thursday, March 09, 2006

Effects of Urban Sprawl

I've been reading through more pet related articles this morning. I can't believe that I've missed this for so long. As urban sprawl continues and the housing industry keeps booming, neighborhoods are encroaching on areas on which only wildlife resides. One of the problems that keeps coming up is pets keep getting injured or killed in wild animal traps. Click HERE. The idea of this happening is just not something that I've ever thought about. If pets can be so easily trapped, what's to stop humans from being injured. It's like I said, it's not something that I've thought about. I've taken many walks in the wooded areas and never once thought to watch where I was going for the possibility of a trap. I'm also not sure that there is an easy solution out there either. Although several states ban trapping entirely, many still do allow it in some form. My best advice would be to keep pets leashed in an area that might lend itself to this activity. It would seem the best defense against this accident. I guess it would be a case of "KNOW" your area and then "KNOW" your area. It's something I'll definitely think about more. What are your opinions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't even imagine how it would feel to watch your pet die this way. =( My ex-brother-in-law had a dog who got caught in a trap in VA. They had to amputate the leg. I've never been keen on trapping, I think it's a horrible way for an animal to die.