Thursday, July 22, 2004

Pet Grooming Adventures

I'm sitting here this morning somewhat frustrated. Just for once, I wish I lived in a place where I had the opportunity to do what I want careerwise. I've been going in circles over getting started in grooming school it seems. I've joined a couple of grooming lists, where I posted and asked about correspondence schools. The response I received concerning correspondence was that it was a waste of time. Very discouraging. One list has been especially helpful. Instead of going through correspondence, it was suggested that I find a mentor locally and use that approach. I hadn't considered that approach, but it is definitely worth a shot. So next week, I'm going to some of our local groomers and see if I can mentor with them. Surely someone would like free help on Mondays! I'll keep you all posted on my progress in that area. While I was sitting here typing just now, a nice lady popped in on my messenger and is discussing one of the schools I had on my list for possibles. She attended the same one, and she is nicely giving me advice. Maybe all is not lost. She has been very helpful. Other than my grooming frustration, things are going pretty well. I have a ton of new doggie and kitty pictures to put on Petfinder for the shelter. Seems every time we do a lot of adoptions, we get in a whole new batch. They sure are cute though. I'll try to do some of that scanning work during my lunch hour. Casey has to go back to court hearing today to finish out the subpeona thing he started at the first of the month. The case was continued until today. It's three hours away and not scheduled to be heard until 1:30 p.m., so who knows what time he'll be done tonight. I've opted to just go home, take care of the dogs, and come back and get him. I did manage to get by the pool to swim yesterday. I ended up sharing my lane with another swimmer, a very nice older gentleman. He was very helpful about giving me stroke and technique advice. It was kinda nice to swim with a partner. Well, that's about it for now. I unfortunately need to get some work done, so I'll be signing off for now, but I'll leave you with this interesting animal story that was sent to me.
3-Pound Cat Is World's Smallest Clinic Doctor Says Cat Has Genetic Defect A 3-pound cat in Perkin, Ill., has been verified as the world's smallest domestic cat, according to a Local 6 News report. The 2-year-old cat, named Mr. Peebles, is officially listed as the smallest living domestic cat by the Guinness Book of World Records. Mr. Peebles lives in the Good Shepherd Veterinary Clinic in Pekin. The clinic's employees serve as collective co-owners. "I do bring him to bed with me at night between my husband and I," Dr. Donna Sassman said. "And he curls up in my arms and sleeps next to my neck when it's cold. And one of his best habits (is that) he'll lick me on the chin at night to give me a kiss." A doctor at the clinic said that Mr. Peebles has a genetic defect. And he's expected to hold onto his title for some time. Because he's already past the age when a cat reaches normal size, Mr. Peebles probably won't get any bigger, according to the report. The clinic said he was named after a ventriloquist's dummy on an episode of "Seinfeld." Watch Local 6 News for more on this story. Copyright 2004 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No comments: