Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Dog Day Afternoon

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." -Ann Landers
Despite having a busy day at work yesterday, I was anxious to get home and see how Diva and Madison's adoption went. It seems that everything went very smoothly. The ladies were quite taken with the dogs and vice versa. It looks like a permanent bond was made. All of the details were finalized, e-mail addresses exchanged, and many tearful goodbyes were made before Diva and Madison drove off into the sunset bound for their new forever home in Kansas City, MO. I'm so happy that everything went so smoothly. I was a big ball of nerves sitting here at work wondering if everything was working out o.k. My brother made lots of pictures of everything, and hopefully I can get some of those posted here today or tomorrow. I'm busily working on the last bit of paperwork for the Animal Friendly spay/neuter grant that our shelter was awarded about this time last year. I wrote it, and our shelter coordinator and I have been running the program ever since. We have spent nearly all of the $12,650 dollars that we were awarded. That's definitely going to prevent a lot of unwanted animals. The last day to have spays and neuters done is tomorrow. The paperwork deadline is shortly after that, so we are trying to get everything finished, totaled, and logged. If anyone still needs to get a low cost spay/neuter done in the middle Tennessee area, I suggest the Beesley Animal Humane Foundation. They have great deals on spay/neuter and also vaccinations. You can visit their website for more information here. After I had gotten all of the wonderful details about the adoption, it was time to get Bear ready, load him up in the car, and make the trip out to see Jennie at Kindred Spirits. He was so excited on the car ride over that I'll have the proof of scratches on my legs for days to come. He usually rides really well in the car, but for occassion like this to come, I'm going to get him a crate. We had the backseat full of those cat trees from Happy Tales Humane, so we couldn't hook up his seatbelt harness. Anyway, we finally arrived. Bear was so excited and didn't seem scared or upset by any of this at all. He took it all in stride. We finally got him out into the exercise yard and took him off of his leash. He didn't quite know what to do with himself! He was so funny! He just slowly investigated the perimeter, and didn't even run around much. He finally let us know after about 20 minutes that he was ready to go back inside. He really began to calm down then and really start liking the place. He got to investigate the sleeping kennels, which are HUGE by the way, and visit with the other dogs and the kennel cat. It seems that he'll have plenty of playmates during his visit. I took his vaccination records and filled out all of the necessary paperwork. That way, I won't have to worry about getting all of that done next week, as we're leaving out for vacation. All in all, it was a very successful visit. I think Bear's going to have a great little vacation of his own. I'm still a little nervous about him being away from home, but I know that Jennie will take excellent care of him. He was completely exhausted by the ride home and slept in my lap. In fact he was zonked pretty much for the rest of the night. Today is the last day of ADOPT A SHELTER CAT MONTH. Please, if you are interested in adopting a new family member, please consider adopting a shelter animal!! Click the petfinder banner or button to begin your search or click here Don't forget to click the Animal Rescue Site button to help feed shelter animals! Toodles!

1 comment:

Snowbabies said...

Thankyou for leaving a comment on our blog, we're enjoying reading yours too :-) We've love anything to do with animals and like visiting rescue shelters, although I think with 2 dogs, 2 cats, a parrot and a rabbit, we are running at full capacity