Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday Mish Mash and Flying Dogs

Casey had to be at work an hour early this morning, so here I am, killing time. My post today will probably be as disjointed as my foggy brain. My goal is to get a list together of all of Nick's things that I need to remember to send with him to rescue. I need to remember all of the meds he's still on, his food, his vaccination records, medical records, and various other things. I'm dreading the exchange tonight, even more so than I thought I would. I actually said to Casey last night, that I wish I could just send them both without me. I KNOW in my heart of hearts that this is the very best thing for him. He deserves so much more than I can give him. It wouldn't be fair to my animals or him to just keep him. BUT....goodbyes are REALLY horrible for me. I dread saying goodbye tonight. I dread tonight, because I know that I'll be upset. I'm just trying to focus on the positive. He'll be able to have his eye surgery. He'll have a nice, luxurious indoor place to live, and hopefully, he'll have his very own loving family one day. Goodbye Nick, and good luck!!

There was also cool dog news on my local morning broadcast today. Nashville is having a flyball racing tournament this weekend. I thought I was pretty up on dog sports, but this is the first I've heard of this. According to the Music City Road Dogs website this is the definition:

What is Flyball?

Flyball is a relay race with 4 dogs on a team. The course consists of a starting line, 4 hurdles spaced 10 feet apart and a box. The dogs jump the hurdles and steps on a spring loaded box that shoots out a tennis ball. The dog catches the tennis ball and then runs back over the 4 hurdles.

I saw a demonstration of this on the news this morning, and it was incredible. There are teams and events all across the country. This weekend, the event is called Wired for Sound. It's at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds this Saturday and Sunday and is free and open to the public. I'm working on Saturday, but I'm planning to get by on Sunday to see some of this competition. For more information on the sport of Flyball and the tournaments, click HERE. Everyone have a great day!!

2 comments:

Kat Coble said...

I've had the hardest time with Eskie rescues we've done for the exact same reason. As much as you know you can't keep them, you just want to.

It's the same reason I admire anyone who can work in the shelters. I just can't. I'd literally have a nervous breakdown from seeing all the unwanted dogs I couldn't save.

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome person (family) for taking care of him as well as you have! You will be just fine! I am sure you will get updates:)