Monday, August 16, 2004

My Name Is Cheryl, and I'm an Olympaholic......

Greetings everyone! I hope that everyone had a swell weekend and no bad luck befell anyone. My weekend was fairly uneventful. I got to blissfully sleep in for 2 mornings in a row, because it was waaaay too chilly to hop into the pool. I just stayed home mostly and did some house cleaning. I'm attempting to whip that place back into some kind of shape. I've found myself completely addicted to the Olympics this year. I've always watched some coverage of them in the past, but never quite to this extent. I've been riveted. It began with the opening ceremonies on Friday night. Quite a spectacular parade, I must say, and continued on with the continuous coverage of NBC. I will admit my special interest is the swimming competition. I actually streamlined my weekend schedule around those swims. Michael Phelps is absolutely phenomenal! What a power house and so young too! He's very exciting to watch as well. Even in the event qualifying swims, Casey and I found ourselves sitting on the edge of the sofa, sweating in anticipation, and screaming encouragement at an unappreciative t.v. He's already won a gold, and the relay team he was on won a disappointing bronze. The exciting match will be tonight in the 200m free. In that race, 4 of the fastest swimmers in the world will be competing. Phelps is on a quest to break Mark Spitz's Olympic medal record. Swimming hasn't been all of the attention though. I've watched men's and women's beach volleyball, men's and women's gymnastics (the Chinese team is amazing!), cycling, and basketball. It doesn't seem to matter what event is coming on, if they're showing it, I'm watching it. It's like I'm hypnotized. I can't turn it off. I've already been on the Olympic website several times this morning. I think I need professional help! Other than the Olympic mania, I haven't got a lot going on for today. Just trying to get everything caught up in advance of classes starting. I did hear from my friend, Barbara that lives in Orlando. They had minimal damage there although they did lose power for the day. My prayers go out to all those who lost much in the wrath of Charley. I hope that everyone's week gets off in the right direction, and may I just say.....

GO MICHAEL GO!!!!

Michael Phelps reacts to his time in Monday morning's preliminaries of the 200m butterfly.

Michael Phelps usually listens to music on the pool deck before each race. Photos from NBC

No comments: