Friday, August 13, 2004

In the Path of Charley

My thoughts and prayers go out to all that are in the path of Hurricane Charley that is bearing down on the west coast of Florida as I type. I just popped over to the Weather Channel website for a recent update. As they were giving the report and urging residents to take advantage of Red Cross shelters, they mentioned that NO PETS are allowed in the shelters. This disheartens me greatly as many of these displaced residents are forced to leave their often cherished family members behind to deal with the brutal force of mother nature. I can only imagine how distraught that I'd be if faced with this situation. I immediately went online with The American Humane Association and did some further reading on their disaster relief program. American Humane will send in rescue teams, called Red Star Services to retrieve and rescue pets left behind and reunite them with their owners.

To read up further on this wonderful program, click here. I think that I'll go and make a donation now, so that I can help in some small way. A prayer of safety goes out to all the families and their beloved pet family members all over Florida this afternoon.

No comments: