Friday, May 06, 2005

Recommended Read

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was rummaging around for something to read, during my lunch today. Since I finished, You Are A Dog by Terry Bain, I haven't gotten a replacement read. Since I work in a library, I figured that I had a pretty good shot at finding something to read. Also, since I work in the section that supports teacher education, I have some great young adult books from which I can have my pick. We have all the Newberry Award winners here. These books are great for short, but really good reads. They have all won these awards, because of their quality writing and exceptional stories. For today's read I picked Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I picked this title, partly because of my Jack Russell mix named Shiloh. It's a wonderful story about an 11 year old boy named Marty, who finds a loose dog in the woods one day. Marty soon discovers that Shiloh is being mistreated and has to figure out a way to end animal cruelty. The reader follows Marty on his adventure where he discovers that in the adult world that is shaded grey that right and wrong aren't so cleary seen. Marty is faced with the decision between right and wrong and the ultimate decision to save a dog. I read the whole thing at lunch!! No wonder this book won a Newberry medal. It's fabulous. I highly recommend it as a "have to" read for animal lovers and anyone that works with rescued dogs. It will make you misty eyed, but it's well worth it. I was just tickled to find out that there are 2 sequels to this book as well called Shiloh Season and Saving Shiloh. Those will be what I'm reading next!! There's also a movie version, which I plan to watch this weekend as well!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My Shiloh along with Bear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a Shiloh, but I do have a beagle or 2:) I have not read the book OR seen the movie??? Guess I had better get busy! Almost finished with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so I will be ready soon!

Chip Block said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terry said...

Shiloh is a goodie. There's also a lovely audio version we listened to on a trip to California.

Enjoy it.

Terry