Tuesday, November 29, 2005

No McCartney In China??

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I partially heard a little blurb about Paul McCartney NEVER playing a show in China again. Then I also heard tacked on...."because of cat and dog fur". Anyway, I just HAD to investigate. It seems that Sir Paul did indeed say that he would never play a show in China again. Apparently he'd seen secret video footage of dogs and cats being killed for their fur. For the whole story click HERE.

I have to admire Mr. McCartney for his willingness to stand up on the animal's behalf, and I do not question his intentions in the least. BUT, I am also a little leary of the ethics of this "secret" video tape. Now, you all know that I'll do anything for an animal, but sometimes PETA's radical tatics really concern me. I'm not afraid to say that I'm a bit a fence rider, when it comes to PETA. I'm so glad that Mr. McCartney is using his influence for a good cause, but I'm not sure that boycotting the entire country is the right way to go about it. I don't know what might work better, but I feel that he may be alienating good, concerned animals lovers in China. I mean, look at how the boycott of Cuba has worked out. Seems to be nothing but a stalemate huh? Anyway, I don't want to get into politics at all. That's not what this blog is about. BUT, I do want to think carefully about this and get all the facts, BEFORE I jump to a conclusion. I'm just as concerned at how our livestock is slaughtered in this country as well. Again, I'm so glad that he's that interested, concerned, and not disconnected (as he very well could be in his position). The whole thing just troubles me. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

brightkelly said...

I agree with you!
I also wrote a blog about it!
http://testingfromchina2.blogspot.com/

boycotting a whole country is so radical! and also not for the best reason! I think the BBC coverage is a bit biased, it showed how lagged, poor and stupid the Chinese people are in the video. The animal killers shown on the video were people who are HIRED to do the killing. The other Chinese are nothing like that! And not to mention the end buyers of furs are people in developed countries, few Chinese wear cats and dogs!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I think Paul takes things to extremes these days. Not that I'm saying he doesn't have a good cause, because I like animals more than people most of the time, but for the most part PETA's a bunch of nut cases.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you also. I also sorta ride the fence about PETA. And everyone knows how much I love animals.

I do think Paul and PETA's heart was in the right place, but maybe their heads weren't thinking too clearly.

Although it is good to have celebrities on the animals' side. They have so much influence and hopefully they help more than they hurt.