Friday, November 04, 2005

Hitting the Wall

Boy, I'm really feeling it today. The exhaustion is finally catching up with me. I don't know why I thought that I could keep that many late nights and get away with it. I guess it comes with getting older. It's the little things that you start to notice. It's like, "hey, I can't stay up until 3:30 a.m. and still go to work!" My mother warned me that days like this were coming. But at the time, all I thought was, "that's SO many years down the road." Apparently, I'm starting to hit the intersection of life. I've noticed that I do get tired now. At the end of an exciting day, I look forward to my pajamas, a good book, and bed. I have more nostalgic moments now. Don't get me wrong. I've had them for a long time, but now those moments are coming closer and closer together. When I turned 30, I realized that my life was nothing like I'd pictured it would be when I was younger. I spent way too much time worrying about what hadn't been, instead of making the time I have now count. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed my 30's at all. I'm a lot more comfortable in my own skin now, than I ever have been. I know what I want, and I'm not afraid to make it happen. Most of the crippling fears of early adulthood have vanished, leaving me at my most confident. Earlier this year, I promised myself that I was going to do my best to make the most of everything I did and the best of every situation. Because of this promise, the past 6-8 months have been some of the most fulfilling of my life. I've been able to reconnect with old friends, make a lot of new friends, and fill my life with wonderful opportunities. In a couple of months, I will officially hit my mid 30's. This coming birthday will not devastate me as 30 did. I'm ready to welcome my late 30's and early 40's. I'm looking forward to all of the opportunities that life has to offer. Casey and I were had a conversation with his aunt, Louanne, once. We were telling her how much we enjoyed the freedoms that our 30's had brought us. That's when she really let us in on much better news. She said, "if you think you're enjoying your 30's, just wait until you get into your 40's." I'll have to say, I'm looking a might forward to it. Hey, it certainly beats the alternative! Now, I'll just have to remember that tonight, when I'm trying to deny wearing my pj's at 7:30!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

I have had more than several of those this past week! Everyone have a great evening!

2 comments:

JuliaR said...

Good attitude. I haven’t minded getting older at all - I claim I am getting wiser each year too. When you consider that you’re going to get older whether you like it or not, you can fight it and make your life miserable or accept it and get on with life. You’ve made the right choice! (BTW I am 47 and loving it.)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I wish I could say I felt the same. I doubt I'll ever be comfortable with my life. Between job issues and the general stupidity that I cause myself...well you know.

(((HUGS)))