Thursday, June 09, 2005

I Love A Happy Ending!!

Stories like this make all of the shelter work and volunteering worth while. This is my friend Elaine and her dog Sunshine. They are one of my shelter's happy endings!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Elaine and Sunshine

Hi,

My name is Mr. Sunshine Henderson. My life hasn’t always been happy but is it ever now. You see, I was abandoned and abused and thrown out but that’s not the real story.

You see, my Mom had just been through a terrible tragedy. She had just buried her first little boy and she was so very sad. After she realized that life did not have to be that way, Mom called our vet and talked to his secretary, Angela. Angela called Miss Kitty at the shelter where I was temporarily staying only to find out that I was exactly what Mom needed and wanted. On a Monday morning, Mom came out to the shelter to “check me out”. Well, we fell in love instantly!

Now remember, I had had a few rather hard days at the shelter. What with a new space to stay, then having to have shots, getting some kind of surgery done (guess little boys shouldn’t ask) and then back to the shelter. So when Mom got me home it was both exciting and very scary. I didn’t know what to do, so I would run and hide in a corner for safety. Mom came and got me several times but I would always run back to my corner of safety. Then Mom picked me and took me to our Lazy Boy Chair, held me close to her heart (I could actually hear her heart beating) and hummed to me. It was then that I knew this is real!!!!!! Only Mom didn’t know what my name should be. So while I was cuddled in her arms and she was humming softly to me, she said that the song “You Are My Sunshine” came into her head. All at once she said “Honey, that’s your name because you have brought the sunshine and light back into my life when everything was dark and black”.

Having said all of this, needless to say I am one happy little pooch and my Mom is so happy she has to pinch herself sometimes.

What more could a boy and his Mom want than total, unconditional love!!!!!!!!! Am I ever lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: