Wednesday, October 20, 2004

What a Wild and Crazy Ride!

What a CRAZY long weekend it was! I was soooo busy that I think I forgot my own name. On Saturday, Mom and I went shopping. We stopped by several places in Shelbyville, and then headed out to Murfreesboro to do some more shopping. We went to Kohl's, PetSmart,JC Penney, Dillards, etc. We were getting ideas for Christmas and treating ourselves too! On Sunday, I did manage to get a little bit of rest. I did the weekly cleaning, i.e. vacuuming, dusting, mopping, and also laundry, etc. Then I did manage to settle for a bit to watch the Tennessee Titans game. Such a disappointing season so far. I'm not sure why we can't seem to get anything going. On Monday, I did the usual Dr. visits, i.e. Mom's appointment and my eye appointment.

After all of the appointments, Casey and I loaded up the car and made a quick run for Atlanta!! The day to meet Alton Brown was finally at hand. We made really good time getting there, only 3 hours! We did quite a bit of shopping. We stopped at a dog specialty shop, where I was lucky enough to find a couple of interesting things. We had a great dinner at Houlihan's, and then we were off to the Borders in Buckhead for the Alton Brown booksigning. He spoke and took questions from the audience for about an hour. He is such a hilarious man! It was sooo much fun just to sit and listen to him. His mother was there with him. He made her come and sit up front. After a few minutes, he realized that she was talking on her cell phone, and he scolded her for doing so. He said that he just couldn't believe that he had her come and sit up front, and then all she did was talk on her cell phone! Too hysterical!! He talked about a few of the episodes of Good Eats, and a few of the characters. He discussed the usual questions mostly. Then it came time to get in the long, long line and await our turn with the man himself. I thought that I was going to have to nail Casey's feet to the floor. He had purchased the new book, I'm Just Here for More Food to have signed as we arrived. He had brought his other 2 along as well. He was ecstatic, when he learned he could have all 3 signed! After a lot of waiting and excitement, it was finally our turn! Casey asked Alton about cigars and they talked for a few minutes. I mentioned that I just loved his potsticker recipe and ate them by the dozens. Alton made 3 really nice inscriptions in Casey's books and then was nice enough to pose for a picture with both of us. Alton Brown is a genuinely sweet, nice, and very funny guy! He made sure that he visited with everyone and everyone that wanted a picture got one. I hope the rest of his book tour is successful.

That's enough from me this morning. I have some Bear stories to tell, but I'll leave that for this afternoon or tomorrow. Everyone have a great day!! I'll be updating the photoblog in a bit.
The long awaited meeting with Mr. Alton Brown. Posted by Hello

2 comments:

theogeo said...

Cheryl, that is too cool. I love "Good Eats." It's by far the most original cooking show I've ever seen and Alton Brown is truly an engaging host.

Frederick Tomas said...

I am so envious of your having met Alton Brown. But congratulations!