Thursday, October 06, 2005

Taking A Chance On the Numbers

Casey and I have been known to play the lottery, every now and again. With the Powerball jackpot reaching astronomical figures, we'll make sure that we play again this week. I know that the odds are staggering. But since Tennessee's lottery money goes for college scholarships, it's not really like I'm wasting my money. It's more like I'm ensuring my own job security at my university. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what I'd do with that much money. But today, I feel lucky. I feel like coming up with a list of things I'd like to spend that enormous wealth buying. I don't consider either Casey or myself selfish people. We have a habit of spreading our good fortune. We realize that we are truly blessed, and we like to share. So, here's what I've come up with so far:

1. The first thing I'd do is I'd give at least a million to my local humane association. We are used to operating in an old run down building that was once a car garage. It tends to flood every time it rains. I'd buy them a nice, big piece of property to turn into a sactuary. With the money, they could actually hire people to work for them. Sometimes it's really hard to operate as entirely volunteer.

2. I'd buy my mother a new house. My mother was older, when I was born. She's retired and lives on a fixed income. She has some health problems that really strains her budget. I'd make sure that she was set for the rest of her life, so she wouldn't have to do without the things that she needed.

3. Casey and I would go out and buy the most pet friendly house that we could find. We'd need a wonderful fenced in back yard, complete with doggie doors. We'd also need a huge basement to serve as the fish and reptile room. It would also have a special pantry for pet food and a special storage place for pet related items. I suppose that we would actually have to build our own for those kind of specifications.

4. I'd spend a lot of money pampering my pets (as if they aren't spoiled rotten already.) They would have the best of everything: an unlimited supply of greenies. I think I can see them salivating from here. All the toys they wanted. I'd also have all the time I needed to spend with them.

5. I'd really want Casey to have a nice car. Ever since we started dating nearly 15 years ago, Casey has been content to drive whatever. It's never really mattered to him that much as long as it got him where he was going. Believe me, he's really driven some doozies. Right now, he's driving a 1990 Ford Festiva, which we lovingly refer to as the "Roller Skate". I think he deserves the high style vehicle.

6. This is the car that I'd want.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just read about it yesterday on Modern Pooch. It's the WOW by Honda. It stands for Wonderful Open Hearted Wagon: completely pet friendly! To read more about the WOW and it's features click HERE and THIS ONE TOO!

7. I would want to make sure that my friends all had what they needed. I have the most wonderful friends, and I'd just like to pay them back for all that they've done for me over the years.

8. I think that I would like to take a Disney vacation cruise. I've never been on a cruise, and a Disney cruise just sounds like the most fun. That's really all that I can think of, right off the top of my head. If you won that gargantuan Powerball jackpot, what would you do with it? Everyone have a great day!

2 comments:

L^2 said...

Hi Cheryl,
Since you were the first one to play my comment game. I decided to come visit your blog first today (like I always seem to do).
Good luck on the Lotto!!! ;-)

JuliaR said...

I was second at L Squared so here I am at your blog, saying hello. The first post I read (your last one) sounds great. We have state-run lotteries here in Canada and I play them all the time - have for 20 years. Pretty pathetic but I have big dreams if I ever win too. The dreams change depending on the amount of course. I may have to keep a win of "only" $100,000 to myself! Pay off the mortgage, get a car (maybe), go on a lovely holiday.

I'll look around your blog some more. Feel free to visit mine!