Friday, October 07, 2005

Chasing the Light

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's finally something like fall around the Richardson household. I can finally feel a little bit of chill in the air today. Casey even made us chili to have for lunch. All week the temps have been in the mid 80's, but today we are only going to sit around 61! I suppose that it's time. It's nearly the middle of October. All of our leaves are still green, and there are just now hints that they will change at all. Even thought fall is not my favorite time of year, I still enjoy the change of season. Summer has had us in a long lasting grip this year.

Most nights these days, I walk Bear after dark. I've tried putting his Spotlight tag on his new collar/leash combination, but it seems to bother him. I guess it bonking him in the head is what he doesn't care for. I've decided to take it off for now. Even though we live in a fairly quiet neighborhood, cars still fly up and down the streets. I've been nearly hit serveral times by passing cars. I came up with a new plan, so I could walk at night. I decided to get a MagLite Flashlight to carry with me as I walk. I figured I could turn it on and hopefully the passing cars could see us. They are very heavy as well. I got the big one and figured if anyone bothers me, I can just slam them with it too. I got one yesterday. Last night, Casey put the batteries in and tested it out. We both had completely forgotten that flashlights drive Bear absolutely nuts! I've seen a lot of cats that chase lights like that, but I've never seen a dog more obesessed with it than Bear. He was just crazy chasing it all over the house. He especially likes to turn around and around and chase it in a circle. Then, he walks all over the house running into things like a drunkard. He never seems to tire of it. We played with him for a long time, and we gave up before he did. I guess that I'll have to make sure that I don't point it towards the pavement, while we are walking. We'll just end up going in circles if I do. I may have to rethink this plan. Maybe I'll try the reflective leash and collar. But the way people drive down my street, it may be too late by the time they spot us coming from behind. Anyone have any more suggestions? My camera makes little Quicktime videos. So, Casey and I made one of Bear in his famous "spin" chasing the light. I'm not all that web saavy. So if anyone knows how I can post the video clip here, please leave me a comment. I'd love to share it with everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen collars with lights on them at a local mom/pop pet shop in town. I have one of those hangy lights that i put on the collar. It works for us because I walk the dogs with a harness:) Have uploaded .zip files to my website for people to download. Can you upload zip files here? The video sounds like a blast!:)

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome picture of Bear...he's such a little cutey!! Have you thought of maybe wearing one of those bright orange vests like crossing guards at schools wear? I've seen people here wearing them at night when walking or riding bikes. They can been seen from a pretty far distance.