Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Tagged!!

I can't believe that I haven't gotten around to the meme from Christine. Since I'm lacking in inspiration today, here goes:

What 5 Things Do You Miss About Your Childhood? "Meme"

Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross pollination effect.

1. Ben

2. Meeta

3. Motor City Bad Kitty

4. halfgeek

5. Richardson Zoo

Next: Select friends (non-obligated) to add to the pollen count.

1. Anne

2. Pennie

3. Chrissy

4. Lindsey

1. The ice-cream truck. We had a little neighborhood ice-cream truck that cruised through my neighborhood, everyday, in the summertime. As kids, we'd all hear it and tear off after it. We just couldn't seem to wait the fifteen minutes for him to actually come down our block.

2. Playing outside, in the yard, after a rainstorm. My parents' big backyard had a drainage problem in a lower corner. After a good rainstorm, the water would pool up nearly knee deep. As soon as it was safe, all of us would run outside to go "wading" in our instant pool!!

3. Seeing my best friends everyday. Growing up, some of my very best friends lived less than a block away. My friend, Jennifer's, family was the best. We never lacked for anything to do or places to go. We had such wild, crazy imaginations. Jennifer and I and her brothers all had the best times. We were all so close. I remember this one time, we were trying to play Star Wars, and we didn't have enough lightsabers to go round. Being the imaginative children that we were, we headed for the wood pile and pulled out logs to use as our weapons of choice. Unfortunately my grip was too loose when I was unmercifully attacked, and I walked around with a lump on my forehead for weeks. We still keep in close touch, but I miss seeing all of them so often.

4. No worries. I really don't want to sound cliche here, but I do miss the simpler times. Wasn't it wonderful as a child to really not have to worry about things, except what cool toy you were getting next, or whose house you were spending the weekend at? I remember wanting to grow up, so I could have all the freedoms I wanted. It's not until you're an adult that you realize childhood was one of the greatest freedoms of all.

5. I actually miss going home and seeing both of my parents everyday. I grew up with two of the most wonderful parents. My Mom and I are the best of friends, and we talk to each other and visit with each other every day (she lives next door to me). My Dad, unfortunately, has passed away. In fact, it was only a couple of days after my 20th birthday. There are lots of things that I wish I'd asked him or told him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I miss all the fun times we had as children. Kids now make fun of us when we tell them the things we did for fun when we were growing up. Having neighborhood kids to play with is such a wonderful memory.