Thursday, July 21, 2005

Most Animal Hoarders Are Women

I found a rather interesting article on Slate.com this morning. Studies show that most animal hoarders are single women.

Not all animal hoarders are cat ladies, but most are. The typical person who gets caught with more pets than she can handle is a woman over the age of 60 who lives alone. Experts say there are a handful of animal-hoarding cases per 100,000 Americans each year, which translates to a few thousand incidents annually.

Photo from Slate.com I'd never really thought about it that way, but now that they mention it, it's been true in the cases that I've dealth with. They also go on to mention that it is a world wide problem. I know that it's related to mental illness. It's often said that may hoarders feel that they are truly "saving" these animals from a sad existence. I've often wondered how many of these people start out legitimately, and then it gets out of control. To read the full article click here. For more information about animal hoarding, click here.

I hope that everyone is having a great day!

No comments: