Saturday, January 29, 2005

Darwin Award Candidate????

This entry is dedicated to one of my best friends, Melissa, who is probably running through Kohl's parking lot at this very minute!! She can always make me laugh, even in the worst circumstances......

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this in today's previous post. This morning, for just a few minutes, I sadly realized that I could have qualified for one of this year's Darwin awards. The event in question happened, when I was blow drying my hair. One of the heating elements in my blow dryer hasn't been working, so instead of it taking 15 minutes to dry my hair it is now taking 30. Lately, I've been flipping my hair up on the ends, and doing so requires me to hold this malfunctioning dryer up against my brush. I noticed this morning that the dryer was making little popping noises. Then, all of the sudden, I had heat. I shrugged this off thinking, "Hey, my element is working again!! YIPPEE!!" So, here I was, unsuspectingly holding the dryer against the brush for total flippiness, when the popping noises started again and blue sparks and flames blew out the end of the dryer!! Of course I made a quick little screaming noise first, and then remembered to get the dryer away from my hair that was lathered with styling products. The sparks went away just as quickly as they appeared, before I could even turn the dryer off. It was at this point, that my nomination should have been sent to the voting committee. In a split second, I decided that the dryer was again working normally and I should continue to style my hair, but only with it far back away from my head. WHAT WAS I POSSIBLY THINKING?!!! Yes folks, you read it right. I KEPT ON DRYING MY HAIR AS IF NOTHING HAD EVER HAPPENED!!!!! In the two minutes that immediately followed that decision, I made the much more sane decision to turn the dryer off, unplug it, and put it away. I dug out the old dryer that I had replaced with the flame throwing newer one to finish my hair. I very well couldn't be flippy on only one side now could I? As I was digging the old dyer out, I suddenly remembered why I had gotten the new one in the first place. The old one's switch had broken and could only be used in the HOT and on HIGH setting (I admit, I have a problem throwing old appliances out). So there I was, attempting to finish my hair with the high setting on blowing it into oblivion. I swear that I looked like I had just touched a static ball!! Needless to say, this hasn't been the best hair day that I've ever had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I would wish bad hair or sparking appliances on anyone else, but it is nice to know I am not the only one. Glad you had a back up, even if it only gave you a puff style! ~ Yvonne (http://forty-plus.diaryland.com)

theogeo said...

That's a hilarious story. Glad you're OK. Beauty is dangerous!!