Thursday, January 27, 2005

I've Gone to the Dogs....

Yesterday was a fairly productive day in all aspects. A lot of work stuff got done. I had a nice conversation with my good friend, Melissa, and I had a MOST productive drive home yesterday. One of our shelter dogs, Fergie, has become quite the pistol in our shelter director's medical abscence. Fergie has definitely been giving the other volunteers a run for the money. So much in fact, that it has jeopardized her existence. Anyway as a last ditch effort, I contacted my friend Jennie from Kindred Spirits on the drive home. Jennie, being the great trainer that she is, has agreed to take Fergie for 4 weeks to do intensive obedience and behavioral training. So hopefully, Fergie will be able to lead a full and happy life afterwards. While I was talking to Jennie, she offered me a little part time job on some weekends. I'll get to go the the training facility and help her with the dogs and help clean up. This will enable her to attend some seminars in the future. I'm really looking forward to helping her. It will be a nice little side job for me too. I think that I'll be able to take Bear with me and turn him out in the runs for a little exercise, while I work. I'm supposed to go by week after next, to get all of the details.

Last night was pretty typical. Did my usual visit to Curves, and then we went over to my brother's house for dinner. Afterwards when we got home, I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. It's just more of the usual today. I've got to finish up entering a bindery order at work.

I got this in my e-mail today from the Best Friends Organization out of Utah. They run a wonderful animal sanctuary there. They adopt out animals, but for the ones that can't find homes, they let them stay there forever. The have a beautiful website, so go and check it out. Anyway, they are helping a group do a Valentine's project for chained dogs across America, and are inviting everyone to participate. Read on for details:

Dogs Deserve Better Announces its Third Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week, February 7-14.

Dogs Deserve Better, a nonprofit working to bring dogs into the home and family, has designated Valentine's Week, February 7-14th, "Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week."

The group is striving to raise awareness for chained and penned dogs in a positive way...by delivering a Valentine, a brochure and a treat to dogs living outside all over the U.S. as well as in other countries where they have representation, such as Canada and Australia.

Dogs Deserve Better seeks to mail and/or hand deliver more than 3000 Valentines, in this, its third season. In 2004 the group delivered over 2400 Valentines to chained or penned dogs.

Tammy S. Grimes, founder of Dogs Deserve Better, states, “Last year, elementary students made 500 of our valentines, which were a touchingly successful addition to our campaign. This year we’d like all 3000 valentines to be hand-made, and we're seeking interested elementary teachers and students nationwide, as well as groups such as girl and boy scouts, to create Valentines for the chained dogs. The students and groups gain a sense of accomplishment from creating for the dogs, and our hope is that more and more dog caretakers are educated as a result of the children's efforts.”

All Valentines are needed at the Dogs Deserve Better headquarters in Tipton, PA by February 7th, and must fit into an A10 envelope when folded. Any group who would like to participate should e-mail info@dogsdeservebetter.org or call 814.941.7447 for further details.

Dogs Deserve Better invites any interested volunteers nationwide to deliver Valentines to local chained dogs. Volunteers can also provide the group with addresses of dogs in need of a Valentine and treat.

Those interested in sponsoring Valentines for the chained dogs may go to www.dogsdeservebetter.com to help one or more of the many wonderful dogs living alone outside in our country.

Please spread the word about this special week!

Thank you for being a part of our Network and for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Deborah Delgado-Hand

No More Homeless Pets

Best Friends Animal Society

5001 Angel Canyon

Kanab, Utah 84741

(435) 644-3965 ext. 4401

deborahd@bestfriends.org

www.bestfriends.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OHHH, I am going to pass on that Dogs Deserve Better info! THANKS!

ann
http://www.mymuddymess.com/blosxom.pl