Monday, May 08, 2006

What?!!

Casey and I headed to Dr. Kinard's office in time to have Slate there by 11:00 a.m. The vet gave little Slate's foot a thorough inspection. On first look, he couldn't figure out what was wrong either. He felt that since he wouldn't put any weight on it all and it was a little swollen, we should get an x-ray to see if there was anything wrong internally. After a short wait, Dr. Kinard came back in with the x-ray and announced, "Someone's shot the little fellow with a BB gun." My jaw completely hit the floor. There it was in the x-ray as plain as day: a metal BB and 2 broken bones. I just couldn't believe it. Even today, I'm still having trouble believing it. Someone shot my little dog with Casey just a few hundred yards away!! We've lived in our neighborhood for 8 years. I know all of my neighbors. They know all of my dogs. Who could have done this? Who could be THAT CRUEL!! You guys know that I usually don't like to vent on my blog, but I will say this. If I find out who did this, I will see that they are punished. I'll put them under the jail if I can. I notified my humane association, and I'm going to fill out a police report. Not only will I have them arrested and sue them, but the Humane Assocation will do the same. I never dreamed since I have indoor dogs, that one of them would be the victim of animal cruelty. I'm still really mad today, but there was no dealing with me on Saturday.

The good news is Slate is going to be perfectly fine. Dr. Kinard did surgery to remove the BB and reset the broken bones. Slate has a full leg cast that is bright yellow with little green dog bones on it. We got to pick him up from the vet's early yesterday morning. He goes back in 2 weeks to remove the cast and get another x-ray. At that point, he may be finished. It just depends on how fast he's healing. Let me tell you, he's one spoiled little dog today. I'm at his beck and call. He's been doing this funny little thing. When he wants something, he'll wave the leg with the cast on around in the air like, "gimme, I've been shot you know." His appetite is good, and so far there's no infection. He's a very lucky little dog. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that he has a speedy recovery.

7 comments:

theogeo said...

Oh no! I hope he's OK!

People can be so mean.

Anonymous said...

You should try to find out who did it, if only to sue them for the cost of your veterinary bills. Stuff like this makes me so angry...

Kat Coble said...

I read this yesterday, but didn't respond because I didn't think you wanted that kind of language on your blog.

This kind of stuff makes me so sick to my stomach. I'm glad that your baby is okay, but I sure hope you find the (*&*&^*&^(^**&*&&^* who did this.

teresa said...

Oh, that makes me sick! I am so sad, but happy he is going to be okay. I just don't understand people like that. Poor pup! And poor you!

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel. And you have every right to vent.

Years ago, I saw my cat limping. This was a stray cat that I had had for about a year.

I saw him and called him, but he was barely walking. I took him to the vet and he was also shot with a gun. I believe it was a 22. It broke his leg. I had an idea who did it, but I couldn't prove it.

But I did go to their house and ask if they knew anyone that would do that. Of course, they said no.

I told them I went to the sheriff and gave him the bullet. I then told them the sheriff said if I knew of anyone that would do this to let them know and they could check the bullet with the gun and find out if indeed it was shot from that gun. He said they would be arrested.

I then told my neighbor if I did find out, I was going to sue and make sure they went to jail.

I let all my neighbors know this. None confessed of course, but it never happened again!!

I hope your baby gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

OHHHH my blood is boiling! How can anybody do something like that:( Lots of hugs to you guys

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm just catching up with blog reading and am so sorry to hear about your little man. I can't believe how cruel some people can be. Aaaarggghh...I hope you catch them.