Thursday, February 16, 2006

Things to Think On

I heard this morning about the missing Westminster Whippet. The Whippet who had shown in the dog show earlier this week, somehow escaped from her crate, while being loaded onto a plane. As of today there is still no sign of her, and the search continues. To read the full story, click HERE.

When I heard about this, it just made me sick. A lost dog is one of my biggest fears. As anyone that owns a schipperke knows, most of the time a "loose schipperke is a lost schipperke". I'll have to attest to that sentiment. Bear is very obedient, but highly stimulated by his surrounding environment. His recall command is good...MOST of the time. But he's still not 100%. We never go out without a leash..EVER!! Since my backyard isn't fenced, I'm too afraid to take the chance. I don't need that kind of excitement in my life. One night, not too long ago, I was settling in for the night and missed Bear. I asked Casey if he'd seen him. We started calling and whistling inside the house. We got no response. We knew then, that Bear was not inside. I started quickly thinking back to the last time I'd seen him. I had gone over nextdoor earlier to visit my mom. He was in the house, when I left. That was the only time he could have gotten out. Casey and I threw our clothes back on and got ready to start searching. As I opened the door to head outside, there sat Bear at the back door, waiting to be let inside. I couldn't believe it. He'd been outside at least an hour and a half, if not two hours!! Usually, if he darted out the door (which is rarely, luckily), we've had to catch him with the car. He just hops right in, since he loves to ride. Luck was with us that night. I guess he'd been out wandering, got bored, and came back home, before we missed him. I was so happy to see him there on the landing safe and sound. I got so lucky that night.

Bear is really our only flight risk. The littles (Slate and Shiloh) go out in the yard with me on their own. They never leave my area. Fergie is usually on a leash and always refuses to leave my side. She has a FANTASTIC recall too! But Bear, Bear is my little worrywort. So much so, that he's going to the vet to be microchipped soon. I just couldn't imagine him getting lost. The very thought just sickens me. I know that things do happen to even the most careful pet owners, but that's one thing I pray that I'm never faced with. That's why the story about the Whippet just worries me. I can't imagine what her poor owner must be going through. I hope that they find her safe and sound soon. It just makes me want to go home and hug all of my bunch. Ya'll give your furries hugs for me too! May they always be safe at home.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You were my first visitor on my new blog! I'm impressed anyone found it so quickly! :)
I'm glad you had a great Valentine's. Marina's sounds delicious! Since our anniversary is next week, we're going to the Stony River Legendary Steakhouse for dinner...so we didn't celebrate Valentine's too heavily!!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Every so often Purrbee sneaks out of the yard...I go nuts chasing him done.

Anonymous said...

That reminded me of a time when I first moved out in the country. It was totally wooded. I had put my baby, "Pokie", out on a chain which I normally NEVER do, but I was outside and didn't want to try and watch her while I was working in the yard.

I went in just for a minute, when I came back, her and the chain was gone. The chain had broke. I began calling and calling. I was getting panicky. I then heard her bark and cry. I found her across the street. Her chain had wrapped around a tree and she was stuck there.

I was so mad at her, but when I found her, I picked her up and hugged her and cried. I started thinking how much worse it could have been. She could have been tangled around a tree way in the woods or even worse...run over.

From then on...I watched her like a hawk, so I know what it is like with a lost dog. She never got lost again...maybe because I never let her out of my site!!!

Anonymous said...

My beags love to dig. THey have gotten out many times. Usually Daisy because she is smaller than Frodo. I go into panic mode ever time. We are in a small town and everybody knows where they belong. The problem is the fields and fields... around us. Lots of smells there that will take them far from home:( Both have chips for that reason!