Saturday, March 19, 2005

The Weekend

I've spent the better part of the day getting my "to do" list ticked off. I had a wonderful lunch with my friend Melissa. It's always good to have lunch with her. I'm always in a good mood by the time we are finished. She's one of those friends that you can just be yourself with and not worry about being judged. A true friend, through and through. I've been pretty miserable stomach wise since. I ended up eating too much, since I skipped breakfast this morning. We even split a piece of Oreo cheesecake. I've just sat here feeling miserable in my chair. After work today, Casey and I are heading to Aquatic Critter. I want to finalize some program plans that I have for Celebration Pet Day. I'm hoping for a reptile program. I guess I could bring some of mine out, but I'm just not that good in front of people. Besides, the guys at Critter are so much more knowledgeable about these things. Tomorrow, Casey and I are planning to have lunch at Miller's Grocery again. Lunch was so great the last time, we haven't hardly been able to wait to get back there. I'm looking so forward the the Pineapple Cheese salad!! Yum!! Monday will be my typical kennel day. The weather forcast is looking good, so I'm planning to take Bear. Hopefully, he'll get some exercise out in the play yards and shed those extra winter pounds! I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!

Since Chrissy had posted about the dangers of feeding dogs grapes over at her blog, I thought that I'd post this new article by the ASPCA. It's about some of the common toxins to pets found in homes. I hope it's helpful! Everyone have a great weekend!

Poison-Proof Your Pet's Home

Did you know that many substances commonly found in and around your home can be potentially dangerous to your animal companions? Here are some items to watch out for as you poison-proof your pet's home.

Non-toxic substances for dogs and cats: Here are a few substances are considered to be non-toxic, although they may cause mild gastrointestinal upset in some animals.

Water based paints

Toilet bowl water

Silica gel

Poinsettia

Cat litter

Glue traps

Glow jewelry

Christmas tree water

Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Pet

Alcoholic beverages

Avocado

Chocolate (all forms of chocolate)

Coffee (all forms of coffee)

Fatty foods

Macadamia nuts

Moldy or spoiled foods

Onions, onion powder

Raisins and grapes

Salt

Yeast dough

Garlic

Products sweetened with xylitol

Warm Weather Hazards

Animal toxins - toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions

Blue-green algae in ponds

Citronella candles

Cocoa mulch

Compost piles

Fertilizers

Flea products Outdoor plants and plant bulbs

Swimming pool treatment supplies

Pesticide Hazards

When using herbicides or insecticides in or around you home:

Always use pesticides in accordance with label instructions. Keep pets away from treated areas for the label recommended amount of time. Store unused products in areas that will always be inaccessible to pets. Be aware that fly baits containing methomyl and slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde are particularly dangerous.

Medication Precautions

Keep all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs out of the reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets. Remind guests to store their medications safely as well. Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet pills are common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages. One regular-strength ibuprofen tablet (200mg) can cause stomach ulcers in a 10-pound dog.

Cold Weather Hazards

Antifreeze: If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze, contact your veterinarian right away.

Liquid potpourris: Exposure to some types of liquid potpourris can result in severe oral, dermal and ocular damage.

Ice melting products can be irritating to skin and mouth.

Rat and mouse bait - place these products in areas that are inaccessible to your companion animals.

Christmas Tree Hazards

Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, if ingested.

Electrical cords - Avoid animal exposure to electrical cords. If they are chewed they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide electrical cords and never let your pet chew on them.

Ribbons or tinsel can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This is a very common situation for kittens!

Batteries contain corrosives, and if ingested they can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract.

Glass ornaments can cause internal laceration when ingested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OHHH, those pesky winter pounds... We have been walking them off here. It would be nicer it it would STOP RAINING on my days OFFF????!!!!! Lunch with you guys sounds like an experience in itslef.

ann
http://www.mymuddymess.com/blosxom.pl