Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Such Fun!!

I ended up having the most fabulous weekend. Casey and I made the trip to Aquatic Critter Saturday, after I got off work. We went to ask for their help with a reptile program that we wanted done for Celebration Pet Day. They immediately agreed to come and lend their support. One of their employees, Danielle, who is the greatest, has agreed to come down and do the program for us. YIPEE!! Another thing ticked off the "to do" list for Pet Day. On Sunday, we went to the Miller's Grocery Sunday buffet. It was YUMMY as usual!! We were all absolutely stuffed afterwards. We drove back into Murfreesboro to pick up Casey's car. Afterwards, Mom and I went out shoe shopping. We ended up hitting most of the stores in Mufreesboro. I found several good bargains and ended up carrying several bags home. I do love a good shopping day.

Yesterday was kennel day at Kindred Spirits. You can tell the weather is getting nicer. The kennel was full. It will just keep getting busier now until the end of summer. I had given 6 baths by 10 a.m. yesterday. I bathed a Boston Terrier, a Cairn Terrier, 2 Bassett Hounds, a Doberman Pincher, and a Bearded Collie. All of them were just super, especially the little Cairn Terrier. I got to practice some of my good grooming skills on her. Not any cutting or clipping, just good bathing, drying, and brush out along with some of my special products. It was such fun. I spent the rest of the day training dogs. I've found that I REALLY enjoy training. It was just something that I'd never thought about. Jennie and I worked a Yellow Lab, a German Shepherd, a Silver Lab, a Golden Retriever, and my very, most, favoritist, Bear. Yesterday was Bear's second lesson. He retained his "sit" lesson very well from the week before. Yesterday he learned the "Place" command. He did so well at place, that he was able to sit on the place board while I walked around the room and took a seat somewhere else. We also worked him with some distraction. Jennie brought in a male Sharpei to distract him. He just did so good!! Jennie just bragged on him, and I was just pleased as punch. She said that he had a very fast learning curve and suggested that we really work him to make him a good therapy dog. So, that's my goal, to have Bear pass the therapy dog certifications. I'll keep you all posted on his progress every week.

Casey worked last last night, after working the shelter yesterday morning. I suprised him by having dinner ready, when he got home. I made yummy spaghetti and garlic bread. Not mind blowing, but still a good meal. So, here I am today. Just plugging away at work. We are supposed to get some bad storms this afternoon, which always makes me a little apprehensive this time of year. I hope everyone has a good day! I've posted a news story below that ABC World News broadcast last night. Enjoy!!

A Dog's Life Is Looking Better and Better

Why Americans Spend Big Bucks on Their Pets

By NED POTTER

Mar. 21, 2005 - The W Hotel near Times Square offers a special room service menu, monogrammed beds, bath robes and a masseuse, and has a psychologist on call if the need arises.

That's not just for you. It's for your dog, if you bring one along.

"When you check into our welcome desks at any of the properties, we always let you know what languages we have by our talent here that are speaking human languages," said Ross Klein, senior vice president of the W chain, "and we added 'woof' and 'meow' to that as an official language about two years ago."

Collette Leonard checked in with Gabby, her teacup Yorkshire terrier. After they settled into their room, Gabby had steak sent up.

"I would say she's very pampered. What do you think?" laughed Leonard, a marketing executive. "I'm single and I travel a lot. I work a lot of hours and it just makes me feel that I'm not away from home as much as I really am."

Numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau suggest that Gabby's first-class treatment is part of a growing phenomenon in America. In the last 10 years, the percentage of households with pets has remained relatively stable, but the amount of money people spend on their pets has doubled. Last year it was more than $34 billion. That is more than Americans spend on sporting goods, candy, jewelry, toys or shoes.

Breakfast at Sniffany's

At a Manhattan shop called Trixie + Peanut, people can buy dog boots, dog sweaters, dog necklaces, and dog toys from "Chewnel No. 5" or "Sniffany & Co."

"We've had people in here that have spent over $1,000," said Mark Edwards, owner of Trixie + Peanut.

"It's people wanting to express themselves through their dogs' fashions, just as they do with their own fashions," said Edwards, "and the designers are mirroring the fashions that are out there for people."

Brooke Goldstein came shopping with her dog, Kayla. "I feel bad for her when I leave her during the day, so I like her to have a lot of toys," she said. "My parents don't really understand why my dog wears so many clothes."

Marketers think they understand. They say it has to do with the changing American family, the rising numbers both of hurried singles and empty-nesters. These are people with money to spend, but fewer loved ones on whom to lavish it.

"Dogs are the new children, as far as we're concerned," said John Ryan, who last year began publishing The New York Dog Magazine.

He says many of the magazine's readers are single women who have tired of the dating scene. "For a lot of people the illusion of the long-lasting marriage, the long-lasting relationship is pretty much dead after the second or third marriage."

Calm in a Scary World

Bob Vetere, CEO of the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association, said he thinks the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, had an effect on his industry.

"As the world becomes a more scary place -- for want of a better word -- you're looking for something to comfort you, something to make you feel better," he said.

In years when the stock market went down, Vetere said, people's spending on their pets still rose.

That comfort factor is why Leonard says she does not feel as if she is spoiling Gabby.

"She's my only family that I live with full time, and she just gives me so much joy," she said, quietly stroking her dog's back. "To be able to come home on a business trip at the end of the day and have your dog waiting for you -- it's priceless."

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

No comments: