Friday, December 03, 2004

Hanging of the Garlands

The work week is finally winding down. Nearly time for a day off! I managed to begin my Christmas decorating last night. I got the mantel done, complete with my new white poinsettia motif, the garlands hung, and the kitchen decorated. I opted not to use some of my antique decorations this year. I'm really worried about Mr. Perkins, Phoebe, and Nala, the 3 new kittens, demolishing them. I'd rather just wait until next year, when they've calmed down just a bit. I'm basically finished, except for the tree and a few other knick knacks to place. I've got to do some lizard tank rearranging tonight. Two of my big housing display tanks are in the living room, and they have to be moved to the back room. I'm hoping to get that done tonight, and that will clear the way for the tree. Hopefully by Monday, I can relax with the decorating finished. I just wish you all could have seen me, up in the rickety kitchen chairs, hanging garlands, just trying to keep my balance. Bear was absolutely hysterical! In the main entry way to the living room, I have some of those electronic bells woven through the garland. As you all know, Bear just loves any kind of little noises. When I plugged them in, he went NUTS!! I thought he was going to twist that little head of his right off of his body. Then he started making that little "talking" noise back to them. It was too funny. I wish that I could have made a picture, but alas, I was hanging precariously from the top of the door facing in that wobbly kitchen chair!

Not much going on at work today. We've been fairly busy, since final exams start next week. Everyone's final projects and papers are coming due. I've never heard so many weird computer questions in my life, but then of course, I'm not an IT person either. I've got a bindery order to get finished today. We are busy planning a little eat fest for our student assistants during the week of finals. Gotta get some nutrition in those students somehow. Other than that, there's not a whole lot on today. The department's all decorated for Christmas, so I can enjoy that. My friend and co-worker Kim and I have animal Christmas trees on our desks. She has a cat tree, and I have a dog tree.

I heard an old Christmas song on the radio this morning called, I Heard the Bells . The words are so especially poignant this year with so many of our military men and women overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan. It really touched me, so I thought I'd share it with you all. The story behind how the song was written is also really interesting. To read about it click here.

"Christmas Bells"

(The original poem, complete with all seven stanzas)

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day Their old familiar carols play, And wild and sweet The words repeat Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come, The belfries of all Christendom Had rolled along The unbroken song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till, ringing, singing on its way, The world revolved from night to day, A voice, a chime A chant sublime Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black accursed mouth The cannon thundered in the South, And with the sound The carols drowned Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent The hearth-stones of a continent, And made forlorn The households born Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head; "There is no peace on earth," I said; "For hate is strong, And mocks the song Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead; nor doth he sleep! The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail, With peace on earth, good-will to men!"

No comments: