Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Snow Day Without Any Snow!!!

Well, the cold wintry weather wandered through the area last night. When I got up to roam around the house at 1:30 a.m. this morning, I was rewarded with snow falling silently in the yard. It was my favorite kind of snow too. We had an inch or so on the lawn, but nothing on the road. As a precaution, many of the area school systems shut down for the day. Yes I know that we southerners are wimps about snow, but you have to realize that the south has lots of steep hills. We also DO NOT have the equipment to deal with snow and ice on the roadways, since we so infrequently get winter weather. I can practically count on one hand and NOT use all of my fingers the number of times that we've had snow on the lawn in the past five years. Most of the time, it's just like it was today. I AM very glad that the ice never appeared. Like I said yesterday, ice makes the power go out and people crazy here. We still have a few more snow chances before the weekend. I'm sure that our luck will run out soon, and we'll get hit broadside with God's snowball. But for me, I'm not complaining today. I like to look at it but not drive in it.

The snow took several of the dogs by suprise this morning on the way out the door. Shiloh paid it no mind, as anything that gets in her way is quite literally plowed down. That includes people, other animals, and trash cans. Let's just say that she's usually a little over zealous about getting out do "do her business". Bear loves to play snow plow with his nose! Casey said that he made his usual rounds in the yard and looked up at him with about an inch of snow piled up on his nose. Trixie, the spare dog, absolutely decided that nothing was out of the ordinary. Slate romped around and played. The cold weather always makes him frisky. Fergie was VERY leary of the white stuff that was piled up at the bottom of the back porch. Nosiree, she didn't want ONE thing to do with it. We had to do a heap of convincing to get her to stay out at all. The cats were ALL insulted the snow had barged into their kingdom. I love to watch all the animals' reactions, when something out of the ordinary occurrs. The snow this morning certainly made the start of my day interesting!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bear in 2004 (our last snow of any measure) playing snow plow with his nose.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

We've had snow every day this week but none of it has amounted to anything.