Friday, September 09, 2005

A Picture That Says It All

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Laura Skelding / Austin American-Statesman

A really touching picture from MSNBC's Animal Tracks slideshow. It just makes my heart break in half every time I look at it. I spent most of yesterday calling everyone I know, e-mailing, and gathering cat and dog supplies. My humane association is helping to fill 2 tractor trailer loads of horse, donkey, cat, and dog supplies to be taken to the Baton Rouge area to the overloaded shelters there. I know that a lot of you are animal lovers out there and feel like I do. Even if you can't send money, look around your home for extras that you have. Just simple things like flea collars, regular collars, leashes, treats, and a couple extra cans of food are a huge help in a crunch. I'm awfully proud that Tennessee is living up to its nickname of the The Volunteer State. I know that the Nashville Humane Association is working with the American Humane Association on hurricane relief as is the Davidson County Animal Shelter and the Memphis Shelby County Humane Association. I'm sure there are many, many others in the area as well. I even heard that they are preparing a special animal shelter in Franklin, TN just for pets of evacuees. The volunteers that are in the affected areas rescuing and saving these pets have my utmost respect. It's a wonderful thing that they do. My heart and prayers are with them.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I wish I could adopt all those homeless puppies I see on the news. It just breaks my heart that they are stranded there.

teresa said...

It really is amazing how folks are doing their best to help the animals and reunite them with their owners (if possible). Thanks for the post, and yes the picture is so touching...