Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Home from the Con

What a weekend!! I feel like I've been gone forever! I tried a couple of times to Audio Blog, but I couldn't get a signal out of the dealer rooms at the hotels. I had a blast at DragonCon! I've had a good hardy dose of Star Wars. Attendance was incredible. The con spread between 3 hotels. It was like fighting your way upstream just to walk anywhere. Casey and I hadn't pre-registered, so we had to go through on-site registration. The line for registration was 4 hours long!! I can't believe that I had enough patience to endure it. We got in line before 11 a.m. and when we finished it was after 2:30 p.m.! How do you describe DragonCon? Well, I got to see so many great costumes (and a lot of people with very tiny costumes...if you get my meaning), I went to a lot of great panels, and I met a lot of great people. Since I was there for a full 3 days, I'll be making posts in installments. Today I'll do an overview of Saturday.

When we finally got out of the registration line, we went to the Star Wars Costume Contest. It kicked off with a spoof band called Aero Sith. They did rock using the actual movie dialogue in songs. It was really funny. The costumes. Talk about creativity, these guys really had it going on!! All of the costumes were handmade. The details were amazing. There were several of Princess Leia and Padme'; really beautiful gowns. There were a couple of Stormtrooper types. One was of an especially intricate expanded universe character. There was a totally homemade costume of Chewbacca. It was so good that it looked very professional. While the judges made their decision, we were entertained by Luke Ski . He's a big parody guy, much like Weird Al. He's been a regular on Dr. Demento a lot. His show was really funny! The winners were announced by Daniel Logan, who played the young Boba Fett in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. After the contest, I ran into a guy who bears a striking resemblence to Ewan McGregor. His Obi Wan was spot on! Here's some pics of the Costume Contest winners, some great costumes at the contest, and me with "Obi Wan".

Costume Contest Winners:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Other Great Costumes at the show:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Incredibles made an appearance. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Me and "Obi Wan": Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another one of "Obi Wan"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Afterwards, we went to the Star Wars Trivia Challenge. I so should have entered. I knew almost every answer. Then it was time for the Mr. Star Wars Contest. It was a male pagent of sorts, and it was absolutely hysterical. The guys all had to parade in and do all sorts of stuff like skits, answer questions, and cite pick up lines. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. Finally, it was time to head back to our room for the night. More tomorrow.....have a good afternoon everyone!

No comments: