Monday, August 21, 2006

"Snakes" Over the Weekend

Sorry for my infrequent visits lately. I think that I may have a little less writer's block this week. Anyway, Casey and I had a terrific weekend. Yes, we went to see the much hyped "Snakes On A Plane" this past Saturday night. I'll admit it. I was just about as jaded a skeptic as you could get about this film from the get go. I couldn't imagine a more ridiculous idea for a movie. In spite of this I knew early on, that I would go and see it. I'm a HUGE Samuel L. Jackson fan, and his enthusiasm for this movie is infectious. As the release got closer and I heard more about it, I couldn't help but think of it as a fun summer flick. We had a great crowd in the theatre. Lots of teenagers and couples and just regular folks. There were two little ladies that stood out. They were grandmothers. They had apparently brought their grandchildren to see the film. As the snakes came out, one of the grandsons snuck up behind his grandmother and ran his fingers down her neck. She let out the most blood curdling scream accompanied by "HAVE MERCY!!!". It was absolutely hysterical. The whole time these two were puctuating the whole thing with little phrases like, "...get that baby!" and "...watch your leg!" It's the little things like that, that make seeing movies so much fun for me. I love it when the crowd applauds, and this one did. We hooted, hollered, and screamed the whole way through.

Now for the plot. Highly poisonous snakes are unleashed on an unsuspecting plane load of passengers by a criminal in an attempt to kill a key witness to keep him from testifying (could that sentence BE any longer?!!) If you want a serious film with a poignant message, then stay away from this film!! If you want pure entertainment, then this is the film for you. This film is full of thrills, screams, and just plain fun. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Yes, at times, it's totally predictable, but it was still well worth my entertainment dollar. Lots of times Saturday night, I found myself with my knees tucked up to my chin, clutching Casey's arm, wondering if the plane would crash and kill everyone or if the snakes would get everyone first. I don't recommend it for anyone with a phobia of snakes. I can also say, the fact that it was set in a plane that was in trouble made Casey (horrible phobia of flying) sweat it a little bit. In the very end, I had a fantastic time. I can also say that I'd be willing to go back again, especially with someone who hasn't seen it yet. When it comes right down to it, I was entertained. I had good company, good popcorn, and I left the theatre happy. That's what makes it a winner in my book. I say go see it and be happy!!

Snakes also has a great soundtrack. Stick around during the credits to see the music video for the movie theme. The Snakes On A Plane website is great too! It has clips from the soundtrack, downloads, merchandise, and things like this:

You can also have Samuel L. Jackson call your friends and family and tell them to go and see the movie. You can really personalize this phone call. It lasts for about a minute and is hysterical!!

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

You know there hasn't been a movie out this summer that I really wanted to see. I still haven't seen Pirates 2.

Kat Coble said...

I had fun with the film. It was just a nice excuse to enjoy yourself without any pretense.