Saturday, December 03, 2005

Don't Rain On My Parade

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ruldoph's ready, but apparently the weather is NOT! We're supposed to march in the Shelbyville Christmas parade tonight. Casey and I are marching with the 501st Legion Southern Oupost that's leading Santa Claus' float. Our group has a most coveted spot. We have about 25 participants, and the costumes include the likes of Darth Vader, a life size (7'2" tall) Chewbacca, Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Royal Guards, Anakin Skywalker, a pod racing Anakin, Jawas, Boba and Jango Fett, and many others.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Some of the 501st members we'll be marching with tonight.

I've been so excited about it all week. Casey and I are walking along as spotters. The costumes don't always have a good line of vision, so it's our job to make sure they don't run into kids, holes, poles, etc. We are also handing out candy to the kids. We have some of the Darth Vader head candy buckets and extra stormtrooper helmets to do this. This parade is what motivated me to get to the doctor to get myself well. Anyway, of course, the weather forcast is horrible for today and tonight. We are supposed to step off for a 2 mile parade at 6 p.m. We have to meet our group at 4:30, and be in line up by 5:00 p.m. Our local radio station is broadcasting the final decision whether to cancel and schedule a rain date, or to go on with the show at noon today. I admit that I'm trying to hold the weather off by sheer force of will. We've had pouring rain this morning, but looking at the radar that first bit is clearing now. There's nothing on radar behind it, but I suspect it will stream up from the south.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wouldn't mind marching on the makeup date, but next weekend we are supposed to go up north of Nashville for the Gallatin parade and Christmas party. I will just cross my fingers. This is going to be something really new and unique for the Shelbyville parade. I just hope that we can pull it off. I'll just wait for the announcement. Everyone cross their fingers and think good thoughts for us.

No comments: