Saturday, April 16, 2005

FINALLY!!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another couple of gorgeous trees that I pass coming onto campus. I'm not really sure what these are, but I sure do like them. Anybody know?

What an incredibly beautiful day it has been today!! I just got back from running a few errands, and it was very hard to come back in. It's supposed to be nearly 80 degrees today, so a perfectly pretty spring day. I don't have a whole lot going on today. I've just been trying to get a few work things done.

Last night, I took Bear out for his usual evening walk. I've told you all before that in the spring and summer, the neighbors all watch for us to come by. So, what usually takes me 40 minutes to walk, takes about 2 hours by the time we finish visiting. Bear has such a good nature that everybody just loves him. He's so good with other dogs, cats, and children. As I was on the last part of the walk yesterday, 3 little girls stopped me and asked if they could pet Bear, "the pretty dog". I told them to ask their Mom and Dad, and if it was alright with them, I didn't mind at all. While they ran inside to get their parents, Bear and I went to the end of the street and came back up to head for home. Much to my suprise, they DID indeed ask their parents, and ALL of them were waiting at the end of the driveway for us to come back by. I ended up meeting the wonderful Jones family. Their house and my house back up to each other, and even though we've been neighbors for a few years, we'd never officially met. I don't remember all of the girls' names, but they were absolutely adorable. The middle girl, Madison, wants to be a vet someday. The entire family is full of animal lovers. I learned the story of Trixie, their adopted dog. I also discovered that they love lizards too. I promised to take one of my geckos over for them to look at soon. It's never to early to start teaching good animal education! I invited them all to come out to Celebration Pet Day. Their mother is working an event next weekend, where there will be nearly 100 kids in attendance. She was nice enough to offer to take flyers to hand out for me. They told me that they'd watch for us every day, so they can pet Bear. Bear was just wonderful with the girls. I made him sit, and they all started to pet him. Before I knew it, they were all sitting on the ground with him and what we call here in the south, "wallering" with him. He absolutely loved it. Always the love sponge! I have such great and wonderful suprises sometimes on my walks. I've found that they are great therapy for just relaxation. I talked to Casey a few minutes ago, and since we have enough leftovers to have for dinner, we are going to take Bear out to the local park this afternoon. I can't wait to see what we all get into today.

I have no big plans for this weekend. I really want to clean tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll be able to stand it inside on such a pretty weekend. We'll see. Monday is kennel day, and Monday night is my and Jennie's first night of obedience classes at TSC. I'm really looking forward to being Jennie's assistant. I'm sure I'll have some great stories to post on Tuesday. The coming week will be a short one. Casey and I are both taking some time off from work. We were planning to go to Knoxville to do Bark in the Park, but we are both so exhausted that we've just about decided to stay home and be lazy. Who knows?

Our shelter coordinator sent this to me just a few minutes ago, and I just HAD to share it with you all. It's about time that somebody started taking animal cruelty seriously. I always knew that I liked Georgia!! Everybody have a fabulous weekend!!

Animal abuser gets years behind bars

An Alpharetta man who severely beat a 4-month-old puppy received a 20-year sentence -- five to be served in prison -- and was barred from owning animals during the next two decades, the Fulton County district attorney's office announced Friday. Thomas E. Spencer's sentence in the first felony animal cruelty case in Fulton County history covers the beating and other incidents dating back to 2000 and 2002, authorities said. Spencer, 56 was also ordered to undergo psychiatric treatment. Spencer pleaded guilty to aggravated cruelty to animals, terroristic threats, arson, threatening a witness in an official proceeding, driving with a suspended license and possession of cocaine. In December 2000, Alpharetta police found Spencer kneeling on a bed with the German shepherd wedged between his knees, punching the puppy in the head, police said. The puppy's eyes were swollen shut and bleeding. He had been beating it throughout the day and threatening the life of his girlfriend.

-- Staff reports

No comments: