Saturday, July 22, 2006

I Wish

Every morning, when I get out of bed, I turn on the local news. I always like to see what's happened during the night, what the weather is going to be for the day, and the special interest stories too. When our local station finally decided to do a Saturday morning newscast, I was thrilled. One of their features every Saturday is a feature on the local animal shelter, hosted by one of the local personalities, "Big" Joe Dubin. This morning, as usual, I oohed and awwwed over the featured pets. Then, I heard Joe say a big thank you to all of the viewers. It seems that every shelter pet they have featured on the weekend piece for the last two months has been adopted!! What an accomplishment!!! I think it's wonderful. Every spot made, is another spot vacated to help another pet.

Anyway, it got me thinking. It would be wonderful if my small town of Shelbyville had this same venue for our homeless pets. It's at times like these, I wish that Shelbyville were a big city, like Nashville. What a wonderful opportunity for our animals. It just makes me feel that our pets deserve as much as all of the big city pets. We unfortunately don't have the city support that Nashville does for our programs. That's why my humane association is an "ALL volunteer" organization. We do what we can, but we always wish that we could do more. I think it would be a wonderful idea for the news station to feature an out of town shelter from their surrounding area once a month. Our shelter does LOTS of out of town and even out of state adoptions. Maybe one of our pets is just what someone is looking for a few towns away. BUT, you know what they say, "Wish in one hand....." Still it would be a fantastic opportunity for shelters and humane associations from the middle Tennessee area.

To all of you in other areas, how do you get your homeless pets exposure? Feel free to drop me a comment.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A couple of our local TV stations lets the shelter bring an animal that is up for adoption. They call it "Pet of the Week". They will show the animal and tell about it plus they tell that there are many others just like "this one" waiting to be adopted. It last just a few minutes, but it gets the word out.