Tuesday, March 20, 2007

So Far, So Good

I'm happy to report that Slate has had no ill effects from the recalled dog food. Sunday, I fed him brown rice cooked in chicken broth. I also grabbed a can of Alpo and have fed him some of that. He was quite pitiful looking trying to eat his normal, dry food. I'm encouraged that he's trying though. I finally got a good look in his mouth and the back teeth behind the canines on top and bottom have been pulled. So, he's missing some major chewing teeth. His attitude remains sunny and his appetite is voracious, so I take that as a very good sign that we're getting back to normal. Maybe I can relax a little now. It has certainly made me consider switching all of my dogs to a raw diet or at least to make my own food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything is ok. I looked through all my cat food. I didn't have any that was recalled...thank goodness. I am like you..I am about ready to make my own.

Bear is sooooooo cute!!!!!! Love that picture.

Anonymous said...

It took me a long while to decide to go raw with the mutleys and over a year of research. I haven't looked back since.

If you're not ready to make the jump to raw, cooked is also an option. You might want to check out the book by Dr. Richard Pitcairn "Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs and Cats".

The only reason you're not seeing the same reaction in the dried foods (although they use the same wheat) is the food is rendered and heated to such a high temp. it kills off a lot of bad and good stuff.

I won't be at all surprised if the incidence of kidney failure in both dogs and cats rises in the next several years due to the minute doses they have to be getting from the same dried food.