Wednesday, November 08, 2006

An Apple A Day

Supposedly keeps the doctor away. That is apparently not true for vets. Since our youngest pet is now 6 years old (the oldest will be 15 in February), I guess I should just prepare myself for more yearly vet visits. When Casey and I got home last Friday night, our cat, Biscuit's, jaw was nearly twice its normal size. We've had this kind of thing happen before, so luckily we didn't freak out. It usually happens when the cats scratch each other. Anyway, Casey called the vet on Saturday. He said it was o.k. to wait until Monday to bring her in, although I picked up some antibiotics for her on the way home from work. On Saturday night, the lump ruptured. No big deal. Just some draining and all of the swelling went down. She obviously felt much better afterwards. We took her in on Monday. After attempting to shave the fur away from the area and debride the spot, the vet decided he would have to mildly sedate her. I could have told him that. Biscuit is a quite hateful cat about being touched, even when she's feeling good. Anyway we picked her up and brought her home, along with a tube of topical antibiotics. By yesterday, she was feeling and acting much better. It was amazing to see how much the spot had healed overnight. Even though it was just a mild incidence, the bill was still uncomfortable. Eeeeek!! I think it's time all of my brood find jobs. I still refer to Slate as the $2000 dog. If anyone's hiring.....let me know!

No comments: