Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Birding

My day got off to a really strange start. I was brushing my teeth this morning, around 5:45 a.m. You know, just minding my own business, when something startled me overhead. I KNEW it was something. I just wasn't sure what. Anyway, I noticed within a few seconds that all of the cats were going C-R-A-Z-Y!! I also realized that I had noticed a flapping noise, when the little black streak was going overhead. I quickly looked out the bathroom door, after sounding like Princess Leia did after she spotted that mynock in The Empire Strikes Back, and noticed the attic door was slightly ajar. (The kittens have made it to the top of the kitty Nap and Play and are trying to wedge the attic door open).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The attic door is just above the kitty tower.

Anyway, I quickly deduced that either a bird or bat had come out of the attic. When Casey heard the scream, he came to see what was going on. He didn't believe my explanation of a bird, but I made him look all over the bathroom anyway. He asked, "Did something fall out of the linen closet?" I answered him, "Only if the laws of gravity have changed and things fall up now." After a complete search of the bathroom, nothing was found. Casey just walked away shaking his head like I was crazy. I just kept saying, "I KNOW there is a bird in this HOUSE!"

After a few minutes of feeling like a complete idiot, I heard Casey say, "The BIRD is in the living room!" I was relieved that it was indeed a bird and NOT a bat (birds are just easier to get outdoors, you know). Casey was busy making the mad dash to turn all of the ceiling fans off, before the poor creature committed suicide. Then, we just stood there looking at each other trying to figure out how to get this bird out of the house. By this time, the bird was flying back and forth from the kitchen to the living room. It finally decided to perch on the top of my pantry cabinet. ALL of the cats had gathered in the kitchen and immediately commenced bird charming. I ran to the bedroom to get an extra comforter to hang between the kitchen and living room archway. After I had that done, Casey opened up the backdoor in the kitchen and successfully shooed the bird out the door. We were VERY lucky that it worked the first time (no birds, cats, decorative items, or humans were hurt in the process). We knew we had to get it out, before we went to work. Between the bird and the cats, nothing would have been left of the house or the bird, I'm afraid.

Yes indeed. A strange morning.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Yikes and if you're superstitious that's bad luck too :(