Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Down In the Hips

Sorry that I was away for a few days. It was completely unplanned. Bear has been having some hip problems on and off during the last part of the summer. He would have his good days and bad days. The vet, Casey, and I suspected arthritis and the vet told us to just watch him for a bit. So, we made plans to get him on some good glucosamine tablets. Anyway last Wednesday morning, he was really bad. He wouldn't hardly get up at all and when he did, he wouldn't put weight on his back right leg at all. Casey and I decided it was time for another vet visit. We loaded him up and away we went to the vet's. They did x-rays, while Casey and I killed time. That was a terribly agonizing hour for me. He had lost about half a pound, and that REALLY worried me. He's only 5, so arthritis is a little unusual at his age. We got back to the office and got the diagnosis. VERY bad osteoarthritis in both of his back hips, with the right being worse. The vet didn't feel that he was at the point of total hip replacement yet, so we went home with a couple of prescriptions. The vet prescribed Previcox (a pain and anti-imflamatory med) for his "bad" days only. He also prescribed the same medication that my friend, Pennie, had recommended a couple months back, Cosequin DS. I'm happy to report that Bear is feeling MUCH better. He's down playing and back to being his "crazy schipperke" self. I know that a lot of this is due to the Previcox, and he may change next week after his dosage drops off. I do have faith that the Cosequin DS will really kick in after a few weeks. I've really heard good stuff about that medication. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

2 comments:

theogeo said...

Oh, Cheryl, that's terrible! But I'm glad his medication is helping him feel better.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Aw...hugs for Bear. He's such a youngun.