Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jam Packed

Pet day is on the horizon. My days have turned into endless phone calls, reading e-mails, sending e-mails, trips to the post office, distributing flyers, and organizing meetings. Last year, I fielded so many phone calls that my cell minute overage boosted Cingular's stock value for the month of May. I KNEW that it would be this way, I just forgot HOW it would be. I liken it to the way a mother forgets labor pains (even though I've never had children). Unfortunately I've been so busy trying to get our event blog, Celebration Pet Day, up and going, that I've totally neglected this one. It's about this time into every event, I throw up my hands and say, "next year someone else gets to lead the charge!" Then, as time passes, I forget and recharge. I'm ready to tackle the world again.

I WILL have to say that this year has by far been the easiest. I have the most wonderful committee helping me this year. Each one has their area of expertise and takes care of those details. This leaves me to take care of loose ends, recruit vendors, and promote, promote, promote. So I need to say a very special thanks to Elaine, Jennie, Mary Jo, Kimberly, Reagan, Diane, and Kitty. You've made my job easy this year!!

I just want to end my post today with this poem. It's why I do what I do.

WITH MY EYES

My prayer tonight is for all who

lie down in chains and cages.

Alone and afraid on

a concrete floor.

Soundless screams behind

the clang of metal.

Locked in rooms

most will never see.

I feel their fear arise in my soul

Ancient yet new...

A primal flame burning against

the walls of my heart.

I want to scream an endless note,

Loud and true:

Clubbed.

Forgotten.

Dismembered.

Forgotten.

Gassed.

Forgotten.

Beaten.

Forgotten.

Burned.

Forgotten.

Electrocuted.

Forgotten.

Abandoned.

Forgotten.

Poisoned.

Forgotten.

Skinned.

Forgotten.

Shot.

Forgotten.

Caged.

Forgotten.

Shackled.

Forgotten.

Murdered.

Forgotten.

And with my eyes,

they will be seen.

With my voice,

they will be heard.

With my hands,

they will know comfort.

With my action,

they will be free.

Dear God, fill their oppressors

with mercy and empathy.

Dear God, instill compassion

where there is apathy.

Replace horror with grace.

Bloodshed with healing.

Restore all humans and animals

to their natural place.

Liberate all humans and animals

from greed, violence and hate.

So that tonight and evermore,

ALL may lie down to sleep

unchained

uncaged

free.

AMEN

By Brenda Shoss, Kinship Circle 2005

"And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary."

Galatians 6:9

Keep the faith.

No comments: