Thursday, September 20, 2007

New Family Member

I went and picked Digger up on Sunday morning. He is such a happy little thing! I had taken the crate with me, but he's such a good little rider that I didn't even need it. Mom rode with me to be an extra set of hands, and he just settled down in her lap like a little gentleman. Even though I had been told he wasn't leash trained, he did really well with his harness. He walked around like he was old school or something. I let him wander about and inspect the yard, before I took him in to meet the "herd", as we like to call it. When he was ready, we headed in. He walked in just like he had lived there for years. He was great meeting Shiloh, Bear, Fergie, and Trixie (the spare dog). No one raised their tail in dominance or was agressive at all. Everyone was very welcoming to the new tenant. It has been painfully quiet at my house, since Slate passed away. When Digger came home, my house came back to life!

Within twenty minutes, he and Bear were best buddies and were playing. Even Shiloh, who never plays, played with him. Fergie served as referee to break up the ruckus, when it got out of hand. So all of my worries were quite unfounded. Digger spent the day learning his new environment. He didn't offer to pester the cats at all. If he bothers them now, he only wants to play. He's all puppy and on the go all day long. At night, he starts to unwind and relax. He's very respectful of our sleep time and either amuses himself with a toy or sleeps himself. Even though he's like a little bullet, if I pick him up, he's very calm and still.

He's a quick learner too! I've already taught him to sit and to sit up for a treat! He takes corrections really well. I just hope he's as quick to housebreak. It will probably take several months, since he's only six months old. Patience.

Yesterday, he made his first visit to Dr. K. He had all of his vaccinations and was neutered. It didn't stop him for a minute. They said to keep him quiet for the next 10 days. Yeah, right. I'm just trying to watch him to make sure everything's o.k. That's about the best I can do. There's no slowing him down. Dr. K gave him a good once over, mostly for my own piece of mind, and he's completely healthy!! YAY!

He's at home, unsupervised for the day for the very first time. Mom is going to look in on him, but other than that, he's into the normal routine. I tried to puppy proof the house, but we'll see. He's not really a chewer upper. He just likes to pick things up and run around with them in his mouth. I may have a different opinion on that tomorrow though. So far, so good. Everything's just peachy keen, and I'm totally happy with my decision to bring him home. I have new pictures and even a video. In my hurry to get the pet day stuff this morning, I left it at home by mistake. I'll have them tomorrow. Now, if I can just decide on a name. Casey likes Shingo the Dingo. I'm voting for Hopper or Murphy. Which do you guys like?


theogeo said...

Yay! Congrats on the new addition. I was so, so sorry to hear about Slate. But this puppy sounds like he'll fit in just fine. :)

L^2 said...

Glad to hear the new guy (whatever his name ends up being) is fitting in well at the Zoo! :-)

Pennie said...

Your post left tears of joy in my eyes. Congratulations to you and Casey (and the rest of the herd) on your new family member!!!!!

Thanks so much for giving a homeless on one of the best homes he could ever have.

Can't wait to see pictures =)